Friday, May 10, 2013

Unforgettable Encounter



Have you ever met someone who instantly changed the way you look at yourself? A few months ago someone came into my life and in a few conversations and a short amount of time spent with him…I can say something shifted. He’s that guy that I never really thought I stood much of a chance with in the first place. He's funny, handsome, successful...and he came out of nowhere. I enjoyed his surprise arrival. And not to give away the ending too soon, but his departure left a mark on me as well. 

Many innocent conversations and years of friendship eventually led to him getting my phone number...yes, we had known each other for years before we exchanged numbers. Then somehow, without me being completely aware of what was going on, we were on our first date. It was the kind of first date that you want to write home about. It was easy. We talked and just hung out for a few hours. He made me laugh, a lot. I felt so at ease and so comfortable in my own skin. Not for one second did I have to be anyone other than myself. I found myself wanting to be connected to him the whole time…the poor guy, I just couldn’t stop reaching out to touch him. When my boss asked me how it was going, my response was “Oh man…second date…please? Way better than I anticipated. :)” (He left the table for a second and I quickly text her back.)

At the end of the night he walked me to my car and then threw me off guard...again...with a kiss. It was the kind of kiss that you just don’t want to end. (FYI…My response to my boss was before the kiss, so apparently there was room for improvement.) I don't even remember how I got home that night. I swear I floated. I've never floated, but that night I did. I couldn't wait to see him again, to talk to him, to laugh with him, to touch him (get your minds out of the gutter). I just wanted to be around him. I wanted to tell him all of my secrets, and let him see the darkest parts of me, because I knew that it wouldn’t matter what I told him…he wasn’t going anywhere. In addition, I wanted to know everything there is to know about him. The good, the bad, the ugly…I wanted to know everything.

I had only a short period of time to really contemplate the idea, because he has some other things that he needs to sort through. He had contemplated the idea for 5 years (yeah, I had no idea), and if I’m being honest…back then I don’t think I would have been a good fit because of where I was at. Either way, I’m the kind of girl that needs flashing neon signs if a guy is interested, because I don’t get the hint very well…it’s a problem. I had the pleasure of really liking the idea for a few months. So after a few dates and lots of text messaging…I’m a bit disappointed that the idea didn’t pan out as I had hoped. I heard a song as I was talking about him one night and one of the lyrics is, “to wait for you, well that's all I can do and that's what I've got to face.” However there is no waiting, because I could be waiting for a long time, and ain’t nobody got time for that! Timing has this weird way of letting you know that something just isn’t going to work. Damn timing.

I’m proud of myself, though. I stood in my truth. I wasn’t afraid to be me. I wasn’t afraid to say what I was really thinking. I didn’t hold back for his benefit, instead I gave 100% of me and it was more than I could have expected it to be. So a goodbye kiss and a slightly painful moment…it’s all done. A part of me wishes I would have known that he was interested sooner; however it may not have ended any different. No one ever knows what’s possible until it’s been explored, and this has been explored.

I learned that I can float. I can be me and just own who I am, even the ugly parts, and still feel quite beautiful. That’s priceless. I am perfectly imperfect, and there are many that will appreciate that about me. I know he did. I learned that some people will just get you, without a lot of effort, and those are the ones you want to hold onto. Even if holding on means that your life goes different directions. I’m grateful for this man…he’s remarkable. I hope that whatever life brings his way, he finds more happiness than he knows what to do with. He deserves that...and so do I.

4 comments:

  1. love it. the growth and the honesty, i don't love that it didn't work out... maybe some day in the future... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally using this. I have so much going on in this head of mine...and I've decided that maybe this will be the best way to get it out! :)

      Delete